Considering Dakota Allergy
What You Need to Know
Left untreated, allergies can have a profound impact on your health and on your day-to-day activities. Seasonal allergies can keep you cooped up on a beautiful summer day. Pet allergies can keep you from enjoying the companionship of a cat or a dog. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
That’s why our mission here at Dakota Allergy & Asthma is to help patients reclaim the activities they enjoy doing and get back to the life they love living. We help patients with everything from asthma treatment to allergy shots.
Board Certified Allergist
When you begin your allergy treatment from a board certified allergist, you gain the assurance that you’re being treated by a leading specialist in the field of allergies and immunology. Dr. Mark E. Bubak is board certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology. As one of only three board certified allergists in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Dr. Bubak has been helping patients understand and manage their allergy care.
Whether you suffer from seasonal allergies, allergy-triggered asthma, or don’t know whether your allergies need treatment at all, our team will work to get you back to doing what you enjoy–spending time outdoors, watching your kids play baseball, or saying hello to a new puppy.
Contact our offices to schedule your first appointment with Dr. Bubak!
About Dr. Bubak and his Team
Mark Bubak, M.D., is a board certified allergist. Certification from the American Board of Allergy and Immunology means that Dr. Bubak has completed an accredited evaluation process, demonstrating high levels of experience and expertise. Essentially, Dr. Bubak is a certified expert in the area of allergies and asthma.
As the founder of Dakota Allergy and Asthma, Dr. Bubak places a special emphasis on helping patients understand and manage their conditions. He wants to make it as easy as possible for patients to discover what’s causing their discomfort and handle symptoms, so Dr. Bubak is always researching new ways to test for and treat allergy symptoms.
Perhaps most importantly, Dr. Bubak and the team at Dakota Allergy and Asthma believe that your life shouldn’t be all about your allergies! He’s dedicated to helping you do the things you enjoy.
Lindsey R. Peterson, CNP
Dakota Allergy and Asthma is also lucky to have Lindsey R. Peterson, CNP. Ms. Peterson is our Certified Nurse Practitioner with a deep background in Family Practice medicine. She specializes in helping patients with asthma treatment, skin issues, and food allergies.
Born and raised in Sioux Falls, Ms. Peterson is thrilled to help her hometown patients discover the cause of their symptoms and manage their treatment accordingly.
In order to best serve our patients, Dakota Allergy and Asthma participates in many insurance programs! The best way to find out if we participate in your program is to contact your insurance company directly.
What to Expect at Dakota Allergy & Asthma
At Dakota Allergy & Asthma, the patient always comes first! We put a priority on patient comfort and awareness, taking the time to explain procedures, diagnostics, and policies. The exact nature of your visit will vary depending on the source of your symptoms–but we’re dedicated to ensuring both allergy and asthma patients receive the same high quality experience.
The Experience for Asthma Patients
If you or your child is experiencing asthma symptoms, your visit will usually take this shape:
- Our staff will take a written and oral medical history.
- You will be given a pulmonary function test. This will help determine the general health of your pulmonary system (your lung capacity, how much oxygen is being transported through your bloodstream, and how irritable your bronchial tubes may be).
- Based on your history, your reported triggers, and the results of your diagnostics, you will then have a discussion with Dr. Bubak regarding how best to manage your asthma given your symptoms. You may be prescribed an inhaler or a nebulizer to provide medication.
- You will also schedule follow up care. Asthma is often a chronic condition, so Dr. Bubak may recommend regular visits.
The Experience of Allergy Patients
If you or your child need allergy care, your visit to Dakota Allergy and Asthma will be look something like this:
- Before your visit, you’ll be asked to complete a patient questionnaire. Gathering some specific information about your symptoms will help Dr. Bubak start to pinpoint the causes of and possible treatments for your allergies.
- At the start of your visit, our staff will take your vitals and a complete medical history.
- Dr. Bubak will discuss your allergy symptoms with you as well as other health conditions that you may have. (Other health conditions may impact the treatment or therapy options available to you.)
- Dr. Bubak will then work with patients to determine the best next steps, including everything from further diagnostics (including possible allergen tests, CAT scans, or blood work) to possible Allergy treatments and therapies (such as trigger avoidance or immunotherapy).
We want all of our incoming patients to know what to expect from their visits! You will be listened to, you will be heard, and we’ll work together to manage your symptoms. To schedule a visit with Dr. Bubak, contact our offices today!
What We Treat at Dakota Allergy & Asthma
As the title of our clinic implies, Dakota Allergy & Asthma is primarily focused on helping patients who are suffering from symptoms related to allergies and asthma. But allergies can be a broad field! In general, Dr. Bubak specializes in providing care for:
- Children who suffer from peanut allergies.
- Those who suffer from airborne allergies. These might include seasonal allergies or reactions caused by dust, dander, or mold.
- Those who suffer from a wide variety of allergic reactions, from hives and rashes to more severe symptoms, such as anaphylaxis.
- Children and adults who suffer from asthma or asthma-related symptoms.
Dr. Bubak is able to provide a wide variety of treatment options for all patients. For children who suffer from peanut allergies, a specialized medication called Palforzia can decrease the risk of severe reactions.
For adults who suffer from chronic allergies, Dr. Bubak will be able to provide everything from therapies for addressing symptoms to long term solutions in the form of allergy shots (also known as immunotherapy).
Because immunotherapy injections are created by your allergist, many patients express concerns about switching from one allergy specialist to another. The continuation of allergy shots is something we pay close attention to at Dakota Allergy and Asthma. After all, allergy shots usually have substantial benefits.
In general, we usually recommend one of the following options:
- Continuing to get the current extract from your previous allergy office (most allergists are happy to provide this continued service).
- Have Dr. Bubak recreate your current allergy shot extract. This generally requires some backtracking and information from your previous allergist. In some cases, Dr. Bubak may make the decision to order new testing or make modifications to the extract depending on how you’re doing.
- Stop allergy shots for a period of time in order to clear them from your system. Once that happens, allergy shots with the new formula can begin again.
Dr. Bubak works with his patients to ensure the best possible outcome with your allergic disease.
What our patients think and how our patients feel is incredibly important to us! That’s why we’re proud when our patients have a good experience. You can look at what some of our patients have had to say here:
“My wife was having some health issues in regards to her allergies and we were having problems getting answers. We were recommended to Dakota Allergy by her doctor and my sister-in-law. The whole staff was very friendly and helpful. We also didn’t have to wait long in the waiting room. They did a few tests and found out what was going on and gave us some advice as well as some medication to help. Dr. Bubak and his staff are great!” – Trev M
“Top notch operation. Dr Bubak and Staff are the best allergy group in SD! Great experiences every time.” – Ben G.
“Very good at explaining treatment options and listening to past treatments that have been tried.” – Roberta G.
“So impressed with Dr Bubak and his staff. They were all so attentive and informative. They made me feel comfortable when I was feeling anxious. I left knowing what I was allergic to. I will definitely recommend them!” – Karen N.
Allergy and Asthma Resources
Dr. Bubak provides a wide variety of resources for patients, including answers to frequently asked questions. If you want to know more about your allergy disease or asthma treatments, you can download some in-depth guides filled with high-quality information: